Glenmorangie Reintroduces Native Oysters to the Dornoch Firth
A ground-breaking environmental project pioneered by Glenmorangie has seen Native European oysters reintroduced to coastal waters around its Highland home after a century’s absence. The news comes as the Glenmorangie officially opened its €6million anaerobic digestion plant at its Distillery in the Highlands. The plant is expected to purify up to 95% of the waste water that the Distillery releases into the Dornoch Firth with the remaining 5% of the organic waste naturally cleaned by the oysters.
The move underlines the Distillery’s commitment to a ‘susTAINable’ future, and saw the brand forged an ambitious partnership in 2014 with Heriot-Watt University and the Marine Conservation Society known as the Dornoch Environmental Enhancement Project (DEEP)to restore long-lost oyster reefs to the Firth.
Hamish Torrie, director of corporate social responsibility, The Glenmorangie Company, said, “This restoration of oyster reefs in the Dornoch Firth, which is an internationally recognised special area of conservation, will help us realise our long term vision of a Distillery in complete harmony with its natural surroundings.”
Latest posts by DRAM Admin (see all)
- 2017 Award Winners In Full - 16/08/2017
- Glasgow Pips Edinburgh for Most Gongs at Scottish Bar and Pub Awards - 16/08/2017
- Buzzworks Recruitment Drive Tonight! - 09/08/2017