New food and drink plans for The Briggait in £1.6m redevelopment

4EFA02EC-70AC-46B2-A69C-FF6FC2C40F86

The A-listed Briggait Market Halls on Glasgow’s Clydeside, built in 1873, has been awarded more than £1.6million to restore the remaining 1200 square metres of space into an ‘inspirational creative industries hub and Market Hall food and drink destination’.

The project is being overseen by the charity Workshop and Artists Studio Provision Scotland (WASPS), who re-developed around half of the space in 2009 creating an artist’s community with studios, offices, and exhibition space. Up to 150 creative people now work at the Briggait daily.

It is one of five regeneration projects in the city that have been awarded almost £ 5.5m as part of the Regeneration Capital Grant Fund (RCGF) support from the Scottish Government.

Audrey Carlin, Chief Executive Officer of WASP which is overseeing the Briggait project, said: “This is an important and validating step in the development of The Briggait, one of Glasgow’s most historically significant buildings. Since Wasps took control of the complex 13 years ago, we have cultivated and supported a thriving creative community as well as managing an active multipurpose venue.

“Securing this fund allows Wasps to restore the former market halls at The Briggait, while reconnecting Glasgow’s City Centre to the riverside and the local community to this important landmark. This development moves one major step forward towards ensuring that Glasgow’s former fish market is preserved as a heritage structure and that we have more to offer the local community and visitors to the city

Share:

Category: News
Tags: , , ,